1. The scientists who discovered this bizarre new species (above) swimming thousands of meters under the Pacific Ocean appropriately dubbed it the: a) squiderpillar b) squidworm c) Worminator d) tentipede
2. In one of these M&M-eating studies I am somehow never invited to take part in, researchers discovered that subjects ate fewer M&Ms after they: a) saw pictures of insects b) ate an insect c) imagined being obese d) imagined eating a bunch of M&Ms
3. Back in 2003, controversial "hobbit" bones were discovered on the island of Flores, leading some scientists to believe that a miniature hominid race once lived there. Researchers have now found evidence that these hobbit people (if they existed) lived alongside: a) dinosaurs b) regular-sized people c) giant storks d) miniature elephants
4. In a meta-analysis (a study of other studies), researchers found that a person's risk of death from several common cancers can be lowered by a daily dose of: a) aspirin b) fish oil c) vitamin D d) chocolate
5. In May, Japanese researchers launched a probe called Akatsuki toward Venus. Akatsuki was supposed to spend two years orbiting Venus and sending back data about its atmosphere and weather. On Monday, the probe: a) crashed into the surface of Venus b) was put out of commission by space debris c) melted in the planet's intense heat d) missed Venus entirely
Answers are in the comments. Image: Laurence Madin/WHOI.